See photos (2)

Penitents Noirs Chapel

Historic site and monument, Religious heritage, Chapel, 16th C in Avignon
  • Open for visits by individuals, free of charge, from 1 April to 30 September on Fridays from 2 to 5, Saturdays all year long from 2 to 5. Closed during liturgical celebrations and holidays.

  • The Confraternity of the Pénitents Noirs de la Miséricorde was founded in 1586 to assist prisoners. The confraternity established itself in the hospital Notre-Dame de Fenouillet which dated from the 13th century, which was transformed into a chapel in the early 16th century. The current restoration dates from 1739-40. Visits for groups: Free, make appointment ahead of time with M. Baldachino, president of the Saint John the Baptist association, by calling 06 08 06 36 73 for all information.
  • All year 2024
    Open Everyday