img-name-mising

Church of Saint-Pierre aux Liens

Historic site and monument, Religious heritage, Church in Entraigues-sur-la-Sorgue
  • The Church of Saint Peter in Chains was rebuilt in 1840, on the same site a the primitive church, Notre-Dame des 7 Douleurs (Our Lady of the 7 Sorrows).

  • The Church of Saint Peter in Chains was rebuilt in 1840, on the same site a the primitive church, Notre-Dame des 7 Douleurs (Our Lady of the 7 Sorrows) which was located behind the bell tower and which dated from the 12th and 13th centuries. It had been oriented East-West, whereas the current church is oriented North-South.
    Part of the stones which were used to build the current church came from the primitive church and part came from the Chapel of the Pénitents Gris, as can be seen in the...
    The Church of Saint Peter in Chains was rebuilt in 1840, on the same site a the primitive church, Notre-Dame des 7 Douleurs (Our Lady of the 7 Sorrows) which was located behind the bell tower and which dated from the 12th and 13th centuries. It had been oriented East-West, whereas the current church is oriented North-South.
    Part of the stones which were used to build the current church came from the primitive church and part came from the Chapel of the Pénitents Gris, as can be seen in the traces of coating and the marks of the stone cutters. Later, as the population grew, the place of worship was made bigger on the side of the collateral chapels. A tribune was intended over the entrance door but it was never built.
    What characterises this church is the unity in its late 19th-century décor. This includes statues such as the statue of Saint Roch, a very popular saint in our region, the impressive walnut pulpit, signs from the passage of the Confraternity of the Pénitents Gris whose chapel once stood where the current MJC now stands, and paintings, some of which came from the seminary in Avignon.

    The main altar from the 19th century has disappeared, and part of the outdoor fronton also disappeared in the 1960's, which destroyed the statue of the Virgin Mary which embellished it.

    After eight years of work the church was fully renovated in 2006.
  • Spoken languages
    • French
Openings
Openings
  • All year 2024
    Open Everyday
Close