Balade des remparts - voie verte
A bike ride around the rampart walls to really see the architectural heritage!
Very easy, flat.
Some of the ride is on a shared path and when inside the ramparts, along shared streets.

Built from 1355, under the reign of Pope Innocent VI (1352-1362), the ramparts of Avignon are among the best preserved in France and are among the largest, with a development of more than 4.5 km. In 1995, they were classified as World Heritage by UNESCO.
This long wall crowned with merlons and defended by a succession of towers, all open "by the throat", that is to say inwards, was built in burdigolian molasse, soft limestone, known as "Pierre du midi", abundant throughout the region. Originally, it had 7 doors, the number of which has multiplied over the centuries. There are 14 today. From 1860, the restoration of the ramparts was entrusted to Viollet-le-Duc.

Possibility of crossing the Rhone to reach Barthelasse Island by taking the river-shuttle at the pier.
Hours (every 15 minutes):
- 16 Feb. to 31 March: Wednesdays 2 to 5:15; Saturday, Sunday and holidays 10 to 11:45 and 2 to 5:15.
- 1 April to 30 June (not 1 May): everyday 10 to 12:15 and 2 to 6:15.
- 1 July to 31 August: every day 11am to 8:45 pm.
- 1 to 30 September: everyday 10 to 12:15and 2 to 6:15.
- 1 October to 31 December (not Christmas Day): Wednesday 2 to 5:15;
- 1 January to 15 February: closed.

This outing is accessible to persons with reduced mobility in its longest part.



For more information please download the brochure below.