Borne territoriale Châteauneuf du Pape

Territorial Market

Historic site and monument, Historic patrimony, 16th C in Châteauneuf-du-Pape
  • This territorial marker, discovered in 1980 in the place known locally as Montbuisson, used to mark the border between Châteauneuf du Pape and the Principality of Orange. In its original position, the North-West facing side, marked with a bugle horn, faced Orange.

  • The south-east face was turned towards Châteauneuf.
    The bugle-horn was the Principality of Orange’s coat of arms until, around the middle of the 16th century, the Nassau royal family added the three oranges that adorn the town’s current coat of arms.
    Only the bugle-horn appears on this marker which suggests that it pre-dates 1531, the date when the principality came under the control of the Nassau family. On the other side, the Latin cross undoubtedly represented papal authority.
    In...
    The south-east face was turned towards Châteauneuf.
    The bugle-horn was the Principality of Orange’s coat of arms until, around the middle of the 16th century, the Nassau royal family added the three oranges that adorn the town’s current coat of arms.
    Only the bugle-horn appears on this marker which suggests that it pre-dates 1531, the date when the principality came under the control of the Nassau family. On the other side, the Latin cross undoubtedly represented papal authority.
    In fact, although Châteauneuf du Pape, which belonged to the bishop of Avignon, has always been “in” the Comtat Venaissin region, geographically speaking, it has never been part “of” the region.
  • Environment
    • In centre of town
    • Town location
    • Close to a public transportation
  • Spoken languages
    • French
Openings
Openings
  • All year 2024
    Open Everyday
Close